Cape Kaliakra - Kavarna region, Bulgaria
Probably the most popular legend about the place is the one about 40 bulgarian girls, who preferred to tie their hair together and jump into the Black Sea instead of the prospect to be captured by the Ottomans. An obelisk dedicated to this legend is placed at the entrance to the cape, called The Gate of the 40 Maidens.
The name "Kaliakra" is of Byzantine Greek origin. The name is traditionally translated as "Beautiful Headland".
Kaliakra is a nature reserve, where dolphins, cormorants and pinnipeds can be observed. It also features the remnants of the fortified walls, water-main, baths and residence of Despot Dobrotitsa in the short-lived Principality of Karvuna's medieval capital.
The first modern lighthouse on Kaliakra was built in 1866. The present one (a 10 m cylindrical stone masonry tower with lantern and gallery) was erected in 1901, with focal plane height of 68 m and a white flash (every 5 seconds). It also has a radio navigation emitter and a foghorn.